MAIN FUNCTION OF JOB:
The Design Engineer / Draughtsman produces designs and drawings for structures, piping, control and instrumentation systems and mechanical components used in industrial and material handling. Typically, works in a wide range of industries including power, water infrastructure, petrochemical, oil and gas, nuclear, food and drink processing.
Based at our Head Office within the Project Design team and occasionally work from our customers site locations. They are required to understand on-site hazards and health and safety requirements.
Technical drawings and specifications and be able to create their own; identify factors likely to affect design decisions; produce CAD (computer aided design) models and engineering drawings and; be able to communicate design information to internal and external parties.
Reporting directly to the Project Design Manager, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Designing Aggregate Process Plant, Steelwork, Tanks, Vessels, and pipework to specification
- Communicating with the Sales Team in relation to drawing statuses
- 2D Drawings & Detailing
- Producing CAD Sales and Installation drawings
- Standardising existing equipment range.
- Producing accurate agg flow diagrams
- Producing accurate utilities drawings
- Utilising Design to Value – LEAN Manufacturing processes
- Communicating, technical engineering related information for internal & external stakeholders.
- Safety, Health, Environmental & Quality (SHEQ), checks & management of within design and personnel areas.
- Maintenance design detail, applying British standards.
With 2 years’ experience as a Draftsperson/Design Engineer, you will also have experience with/in:
- AutoCAD 2D
- Production of conceptual designs from scratch
- Knowledge of Structural Steel design
- Material handling or other handling equipment
- Supply (utilities), water systems.
- Conveyor systems
There are five main disciplines within the occupation of Engineering Design and Draughtsperson that the holder must be aware of.
- Control and Instrumentation Design
- Mechanical Design
- Piping Design
- Structural Design
Completed the Level 4 Apprenticeship or an Engineering First level degree (Mechanical / Construction).
Summary of Role
Reporting to Project Design Manager and working alongside other Senior Management the role will be diverse.
- Work safely at all times, complying with relevant national and industry health and safety requirement.
- Work in accordance with company management systems, policies and procedures
- Employ the appropriate use of computer-based technology.
- Review and interpret technical information and requirements from different sources e.g., specifications, concepts, stakeholders.
- Identify inaccuracies or discrepancies in engineering drawings and specifications and propose solutions.
- Identify and assess factors that affect designs e.g., materials, application, location, risk and environment.
- Design engineering concepts to solve engineering challenges.
- Develop effective solutions which satisfy the required standards and can be manufactured, proven, operated and maintained in a cost-effective way whilst minimising costs.
- Evaluate engineering designs to determine the most effective solution.
- Produce detailed engineering drawings to relevant standards and codes, using paper and computer.
- Check completed drawings for quality, technical compliance and completeness – both own and those of peers
- Communicate and co-ordinate engineering design options with relevant stakeholders, colleagues and clients using sketches, schemes, models, detailed drawings and reports
The post holder must have a genuine interest in people, design and build environment, and a focus on continuous improvement to make the business profitable. The post holder must be self-motivated, be able to work flexibly and under pressure in a dynamic and changing environment.
Core Technical Knowledge
- Relevant national and industry health and safety, standards and legislation and those relevant to the specific disciplines, as appropriate
- Company management systems, policies and procedures
- Document management and change control.
- Engineering codes and standards
- Common engineering principles and the application of maths and science to engineering.
- Fundamentals of engineering drawing and design
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, its appropriate application including 2D and 3D modelling.
- Understand the impact of relevant factors that are important to the design e.g., the context in which you are working, the materials, components, assemblies, cost, quality, safety, security, risk, environmental impact, ergonomics, aesthetics, the end use and purpose of the design.
- Manufacturing and/or construction methods as appropriate to the specific disciplines
- Relevance and application of Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Excellent IT knowledge, especially Microsoft Excel and word.
- Good technical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable talking to people – good communication.
- Ability to understand the nature of a client’s request through effective questioning and listening skills.
- Good understanding of Safety, Health, Environmental policy, and legal requirements
- AutoCAD & Solidworks proficient
- 5 GCSE’s grade 5 including Math’s and English
- Level 4 / degree in Mechicanical Engineering
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Engineering Technician (EngTech) in partnership with the appropriate institutions as shown below:
- Mechanical Engineers (for piping and mechanical)
- Structural Engineers (IStructE)
- Engineering Designers (IED)
- Professional registration to governing body required to support development.
Location: Office based, preferably within 30/40 minutes commute of Meriden, Solihull.