MAIN FUNCTION OF JOB:
The Lead Design Manager will be engaged on a variety of projects from initial sales layouts in 2D / 3D, to the finer detail of a process flow and the utilities required for the aggregate processing industry. The role entails the production of accurate and precise drawings for civils, mechanical build plans. You will be working across a broad projects base of both new build and refurbishment projects throughout predominantly the United Kingdom with exposure to our international projects.
Reporting directly to the Sales Director, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Designing Aggregate Process Plant, Steelwork, Tanks, Vessels, and pipework to specification
- Communicating with the Sales Team in relation to drawing statuses
- Liaising with the client on design details and queries
- 2D Drawings & Detailing, and 3D Parts & Assembly Modelling
- Producing CAD Sales and Installation drawings as well as one off specialist parts drawings
- Customer Site Surveys
- Preparation of designs, calculations, specifications, and tender documentation for mechanical services as part of a project team
- Carrying out Design calculations and FEA’s
- Preparing bills of materials and assembly instructions
- Standardising existing equipment range.
- Supporting the development and creation of new process equipment.
- Completing quality assurance checklists
- Producing accurate flow diagrams
- Producing accurate utilities drawings
- Utilising Design to Value – LEAN Manufacturing processes
- Communicating, technical engineering related information for internal & external stakeholders.
- Responsible for supporting and growing a small design team.
- Controlling all Capital Design projects.
With proven experience as a Draftsperson/Design Engineer, you will also have experience with/in:
- AutoCAD 2D and 3D CAD Packages such as Creo / SolidWorks.
- Production of conceptual designs from scratch
- The design of process plant and equipment (Steel Structures, Tanks, Vessels, Pipework etc)
- Knowledge of Structural Steel design
- Structural Steel Calculations (Preferably but not essential)
- Material Handling or other handling equipment
Summary of Role
Reporting to the Sales Director and working alongside the Managing Director, CEO, and other Senior Management the role will be diverse.
Aid the business to showcase the latest equipment in an advancing and competitive market while developing your skills, which the company will support. Producing the next level of detail, eliminating mistakes, and developing high performance processing equipment.
In accordance with corporate responsibility for the business, work effectively as part of a close team.
The post holder must have a genuine interest in people, financial controls, and a focus on continuous improvement to make the business profitable. The post holder must be self-motivated, be able to work flexibly and under pressure in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or equivalent;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of material handling, fabrication design, structural steelwork.
- The ability to understand and quantify CAD drawings,
- Time management skills – prioritising accordingly.
- A knowledge of Material Handling
- The knowledge and ability to identify design failures / falls
- Excellent IT knowledge, especially Microsoft Excel
- Good technical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable talking to people – good communication
- Ability to understand the nature of a client’s request through effective questioning and listening skills.
- Good understanding of Safety, Health, Environmental policy, and legal requirements
- AutoCAD & Solidworks proficient
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge of mining & quarrying practice
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Able to work individually and as part of a team
- Time Management is key
Office and site based, preferably within 30/60 minutes commute of Meriden
Health & Safety Responsibilities
- Follow Company policies and procedures always;
- Follow set company procedure (9001, 45001, 14001)
- Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
- Safety, Health, Environment & Quality will be the fourth front of all activities eliminating risk to the business and the people it will impact.
- CDM 2015 Regulation must be applied to all design projects /activities.
- Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
- Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager
How to Apply
If this role sounds like your ideal job we’d love to hear from you; salary is dependent upon experience so please send your CV – to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 12.00 p.m. on 10/05/2023
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder’s role and/or the needs of the business. You will have some previous planning, logistics, scheduling or administrative experience, good organisational and customer service skills, be fully IT competent and can work under your own initiative in a closely knitted team.